Date:      Wed, 4 Jan 2012 20:48:35 +0000
From:      Peter Harrison <four.harrisons@googlemail.com>
To:        Chad Perrin <perrin@apotheon.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Browser

On 4 Jan 2012, at 16:54, Chad Perrin wrote:

> On Wed, Jan 04, 2012 at 07:17:47AM -0500, Daniel Lewis wrote:
>> Im running Free BSD 8.2 and was wondering whats a good web browser =
for
>> version 8.2?
>> Where and how would we install it? ( Im really new to unix)
>=20
> There are at least as many answers to this as there are browsers, and
> probably quite a few more answers than that.
>=20
> For minimalist browsers in the X Window System environment, I quite =
like
> Surf.
>=20
> For its incredibly rich extension system, I use Firefox (and =
extensions
> such as Pentadactyl, Perspectives, HTTPS Everywhere, and Scrapbook).
>=20
> For a combination of excellent GUI design, smooth built-in features, =
and
> stability (relative to Firefox), Chromium is a good choice (that's the
> open source project behind Google Chrome).
>=20
> For a relatively lightweight, modular design that offers an =
interesting
> alternative interface for people who prefer keyboard navigation rather
> than mouse navigation, there's Uzbl (though the Pentadactyl extension =
for
> Firefox offers some of the same benefits).
>=20
> For the most complete feature set of any console-based browser I've =
used
> (which means I don't necessarily need a running X Window System =
session
> to use it), there's w3m.
>=20
> Some OpenBSD people have started working on the xxxterm project, which
> looks quite promising to me, and I intend to give it a serious look =
very
> soon.
>=20
> There are others as well.  Others have already mentioned Epiphany,
> Midori, and Opera.  Lynx and Links are a couple more console-based
> browsers.  In addition to Firefox, the Mozilla guys also offer =
SeaMonkey.
> Konqueror is the canonical choice amongst KDE users, I think, and =
Flock
> has a small but dedicated following.  Conkeror, despite the similarity =
of
> its name to Konqueror, is not a KDE browser; instead, it appears to be =
> Firefox variant specifically designed for keyboard navigation (with a
> less vi-like set of default keybindings than Pentadactyl provides).  I
> think NetSurf is a popular browser for the Haiku OS, but has been =
ported
> to other OSes such as FreeBSD.
>=20
> I don't have a favorite.  All browsers I have encountered disappoint =
me
> in some way (though I hold hope for xxxterm when I get around to =
giving
> it a try).  Each of the browsers I mentioned in their own paragraphs =
are
> browsers that I use at least occasionally, except for xxxterm -- which
> gets its own mention basically because it looks promising.  For the
> negatives:
>=20
> Surf - It's so feature-minimal that I would need to build a bunch of
> custom scripts to interact with it and give me the functionality I =
need.
> I have not tried yet.
>=20
> Firefox - It's getting huge, bloated, and unstable for my purposes, =
and
> its recent rapid iteration model regularly breaks the very things that
> keep me using it at all: the extensions.
>=20
> Chromium - The extension system is (intentionally) brain-dead.
>=20
> Uzbl - It's a bit of a pain in the butt to configure to my =
preferences,
> and the extension "system" is very, very ad-hoc.  I like some of the
> principles of the underlying architecture, but in practice I do not =
think
> it is as well executed as it should have been.
>=20
> w3m - I find its keyboard navigation capabilities somewhat less than
> convenient and, as a console-based browser, that's kind of a fatal =
flaw.
> It's still better than any other console-based browser I've used =
though.
> Then, of course, there's the fact that it lacks the conveniences of =
the
> major GUI browsers (plugin support, for instance).
>=20
> xxxterm - It's not in FreeBSD's ports system (yet), and I don't need a
> new custom software installation project this week.  Beyond that, I =
don't
> know what I may or may not dislike about it.

Chad,

xxxterm is in ports - at least I have it installed on my netbook and =
although I can't remember how it got there, I never (ever) install stuff =
that's not in ports.

I installed for exactly the same reasons you're looking at it - fast =
lean browser with good (vi-like) keybindings.

Firefox runs like a dog on my atom processor, but I do still keep it =
around for some stuff although compiling to keep their release schedule =
is gradually turning me off.

First impressions of xxxterm are that it's very good. The keybinding is =
quite as good as uzbl or vimperator on firefox, but it's live-able with, =
and it seems to have fewer performance or configuration downsides.

Peter Harrison.