Date:      Wed, 16 Feb 2005 13:16:47 +0100
From:      Joerg Wunsch <j@ida.interface-business.de>
To:        freebsd-sparc64@freebsd.org
Cc:        Olivier Cherrier <oc@symacx.com>
Subject:   Re: Onboard SCSI controller support on Ultra 2

As Olivier Cherrier wrote:

> I just downloaded the 5.3-STABLE-SNAP001-sparc64-miniinst.iso file
> and seen that the HARDWARE.HTM file doen't mention this update and
> still says that Ultra 2 need to be net-booted.

src/release/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/hardware/sparc64/proc-sparc64.sgml
apparently has been updated on HEAD to reflect that U1E and U2 are
supported quite some time ago, but hrs forgot to MFC that change.  I
just did the MFC.

Btw., the 3500/4500 are still mentioned as having no support for their
Sbus-based SCSI (fibrechannel) controller.  ISTR someone recently
wrote the SCSI controller does work though, can I take this for
granted and update the file as well?  I should get access to a 3500
sometime soon, but so far cannot verify it.

> > The prob i did find was with QFE card support; they all appear as
> > hme, have the correct individual MAC addresses--- but little else,
> > and errors galore.

The QFE actually *is* a quad HME card, that's why FreeBSD uses the
same driver for it.  What kind of problems do you have with it?

I've only used PCI-based QFEs so far, but never encountered any
problems with them -- they even make a fine Quad card in IA32 machines
now that FreeBSD supports them outside of OpenFirmware systems.

joerg_wunsch@interface-systems.de        http://www.interface-systems.de/~j/