Date:      Tue, 7 Mar 2006 15:52:59 +0700 (ICT)
From:      Olivier Nicole <on@cs.ait.ac.th>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Authentication with auto replication

Hi,

I have a system that needs user authentication.

Right now I am using NIS to share the users password between all the
machines that need it: one machine is the primary server, others
clients are also running a secondary server: so would a machine get
isolated, it could still do authentication with the secondary server
that it is running. This is all smooth and transparent, files
replication is done automatically.

I am considering moving away from NIS (because its lack of
security). Radius could do the trick, I can run several radius
servers. But then I need to manually synchronize the data between the
various radius servers.

Does it exists another authentication system that would do the
automatic data replication like NIS does?

Best regards,

Olivier