Date:      Sat, 20 Jun 1998 20:59:22 -0600 (MDT)
From:      "Kenneth D. Merry" <ken@plutotech.com>
To:        omar@clifford.inch.com (Omar Thameen)
Cc:        freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 64M SIMM differences

Omar Thameen wrote...
> In addition to all the parity/nonparity, EDO issues, I've been made
> aware that there are 2 types of 64M SIMMs - one has 8 chips on it and
> the other has 32 chips.
>
> Is there a difference in performance for these two types?  The fact
> that the 32 chip 64M SIMM is half the price of the 8 chip version
> indicates one thing, but OTOH I called Kingston and their tech
> support told me that the SIMMs perform the same.

	I think the performance will be the same for the two types of
SIMMs, but the thing to remember is that some motherboards can't take the
ones with more chips.  In particular, most ASUS boards need SIMMs with 25
chips or less each.

	So, if you've got an ASUS board or if your manufacturer says
something about it, get the SIMMs with the lower chip count.

Ken
--
Kenneth Merry
ken@plutotech.com