Date:      Mon, 9 Sep 2002 22:06:13 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Warren Block <wblock@wonkity.com>
To:        Hudson Lee <hudlee@vineyard.net>
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: are zcomax 802.11b wireless cards supported in freebsd?

On Mon, 9 Sep 2002, Hudson Lee wrote:

> I looked around and found an ideal (on paper not counting price) line of prism cards. The
> zcomax cards use the prism2 or prism2.5 chipsets and I can get one
> with 100mw of power and a detachable built in antenna with an external
> RP-MMCX jack underneath. The question is of course, do they work in freebsd?

Yes.  Well, maybe.  See

http://www.personaltelco.net/index.cgi/RangeLanDsComments

According to that site, the Prism RangeLAN-DS 8434 (removable antenna)
*is* a Zcomax XI-300.  That seems to be the case.

As to whether it works on FreeBSD, the answer is "maybe..."  I have two
of the 8434/XI-300 cards that almost work in my Tecra 8000.  Lots of
errors reported by the wi driver and it never quite gets to working.
(D-Link DWL-650 cards do work in the same machine with the same
software.  The RangeLAN-DS cards worked in a Compaq notebook under W98,
as did the D-Links.)

One of the RangeLAN-DS cards is in Mr. Losh's capable hands; he reports
that it works for him.  So either I'm doing something wrong, or the
older Tecra architecture can't handle them.  Or both, or something else.

The DWL-650s seem to be adequate for my purposes, so if anyone is
interested in one or both of these RangeLAN-DS cards cheaply, let me
know.