Date:      Wed, 31 Mar 1999 01:46:14 +0100
From:      Ben Smithurst <ben@scientia.demon.co.uk>
To:        Spidey <beaupran@jsp.umontreal.ca>
Cc:        freebsd-questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Mysterious reboots...

Spidey wrote:

> Sometimes the machine simply reboots. X does not shut down, filesystems do
> not dismount correctly, _but_ there is an entry in wtmp:
>
> spidey@freed [01:39pm] spidey$ last reboot
> reboot           ~                         Tue Mar 30 12:40
> [...]
>
> I did _not_ call this reboot with any command that I know of.

I may be wrong, but looking at the source and the timestamps of those
"reboot" entries in wtmp, they seem to be inserted as the box is coming
back up, after the reboot. "shutdown" will mark a clean shutdown, I
beleive, "reboot", as it says, indicates the machine is booting up
again.

--
Ben Smithurst
ben@scientia.demon.co.uk