Date:      Mon, 27 Nov 1995 19:58:20 +0100 (MET)
From:      hm@altona.hamburg.com (Hellmuth Michaelis)
To:        chuckr@glue.umd.edu (Chuck Robey)
Cc:        FreeBSD-Questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: PCVT -- ^H

>From the keyboard of Chuck Robey:

> I want to map my PCVT keyboard so that the erase key gives ^H, and the
> delete key gives the delete code, 0x7f.  I read all the docs, I think
> maybe I can do this through the keycap utility,

You can.

I do not quite understand, what you want to do (all my US-ASCII keyboards
don't have an 'erase' key), but perhaps the following example of two
example entries to /usr/share/misc/keycap.pcvt might illustrate the way to
go:

x1|BS1|map backspace key to <DEL> (0x7f), SHIFT-BS and CTRL-BS to <BS> (0x08) :\
	:K15=\177:S15=\010:C15=\010:

x2|BS2|map backspace key to <BS> (0x08), SHIFT-BS and CTRL-BS to <DEL> (0x7f) :\
	:K15=\010:S15=\177:C15=\177:

> but I can't find anywhere
> a mapping between physical positions on a standard (IBM) style keyboard
> and the codes that it issues.  I can see the mapping, and how to do it,
> once I can determine this; it's pretty obvious to do this for the
> function keys, but I am wondering if there's a graphic anywhere to aid in
> this mapping, or if anyone simply knows the mapping for those two keys?

Some years ago, when the keyboards where quite a bit more expensive than
today, one could get sort of a technical reference manual with all the
machines (i have a good graphical representation from an HP Vectra tech ref
manual and from a Kyocera tech ref manual and several more) that were sold.

A not so good representation can be found in: The Programmers PC Source Book,
by Tom Hogan, Microsoft Press (mine is 2nd ed. 1991) on page 7-18 and 7-19.

> Such a mapping table seems to be a glaring omission for a utility that is
> intended to support mapping.  It renders much of the capability valueless,
> except for function key mapping.  If there was such a mapping, I'd
> volunteer to make a nice mapping file, using ascii mapping characters (no
> graphical).

Ha ! Finally ! :-)

I'm waiting ...... :-)

hellmuth