Date:      Fri, 22 Jun 2012 09:05:42 -0700
From:      Kevin Oberman <kob6558@gmail.com>
To:        Michael Scheidell <scheidell@freebsd.org>
Cc:        ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: painful process.. php53/etc

On Fri, Jun 22, 2012 at 7:52 AM, Michael Scheidell
<scheidell@freebsd.org> wrote:
> I needed to update php5(x)-gd (which needs png15).
> problem is, the server has php5 (php5.3) installed, so in order to upgrad=
> php5 (5.3) to php53 (5.3), I looked in /usr/ports/UPDATING
> (I didn't find my answer there, not sure why, I will look again, and add
> some notes.)
> I think the OFFICIAL version of what is supposed to happen is:
>
> portmaster --list-origins > /tmp/pkgs
> portmaster -r lang/php53 lang/php5
> (ok, I am not really sure)
>
> I did this:
>
> cd /var/db/pkgs
> renamed everything php5- to php53-
> then
> sed -i '' -e 's/php5/php53/g' /var/db/pkgs/*
>
> then on to tinderbox to build php5-gd
>
> woops, it sets dependency for php5 (5.4)
> so, in tinderbox need to set DEFAULT_PHP_VER=3D53
>
> then pecl-pdflib (which needs png15) need updating, and it sets php5 (5.4=
)
> as its dependency!
> and joomla25, all need to be recompiled with DEFAULT_PHP_VER.
>
> anyway we can just leave php5x like perl versions (many of them, on
> default), like mysql-client*, python, etc?
>
> just putting on very small update in has taken 4 hours.
> (ps, web site never went down this way, it was running all through the
> update process, sometimes important in todays world)
>
> back to official updating in /usr/ports/UPDATING: =C2=A0where did I miss =
the
> updating instructions if you want to KEEP php53?

Michael, you are working at this WAY to hard. portmaster(8) already
knows how to do what you are trying to do,

N.B. I have no clue on PHP in specific, having avoided it like the
plague for years, but in general, the proper way to replace one port
with another is:
portmaster -o www/php5 www/php53
This will cause portmaster to do the right things, including fix-up
all dependent ports to point at the newly installed port. At least, I
see no reason to re-build all of the ports that depend on PHP. I don't
think that this produced any changed in APIs or ABIs.
--=20
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
E-mail: kob6558@gmail.com