Date:      Tue, 23 Jan 1996 01:58:03 -0800
From:      Paul Traina <pst@shockwave.com>
To:        Mark Murray <mark@grondar.za>
Cc:        Nathan Lawson <nlawson@statler.csc.calpoly.edu>, security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Ownership of files/tcp_wrappers port

  From: Mark Murray <mark@grondar.za>

  Before my current job I worked in a University's computer centre, and
  _every_ Un*x box I ever got to work on had wrappers installed.

And the organization that I work in uses a firewall because the systems
are maintained by over 200 separate people who have varrying degrees of
capability as system administrators.

  I thus formed the opinion that most (wise) folks install them immediately,
  and such folks would appreciate having them as part of the base system.

  (I say this also as an anti-bloatist - my record speaks for itself.)

  > Read:  I will wish seriously bad karma on anyone who unilaterally bloats
  >        out the system with the wrapper code.  There is NO good reason to
  >        make it anything other than a port -- which makes it OPTIONAL to
  >        install and easy to track 3rd party changes.

  Who said anything about unilateral? What is the difference between
  wrappers, bootp and the various eBones bits that got brought in with
  hardly a squeak?

If it was my call, they'd be ports too!  I spent over 3 hours today futzing
around checking all of the different changes from NetBSD and from the
distribution code to insure that we got the right lineage of code and all
of the bug fixes and insure they ended up on the right branches.  All of this
just as a precursor to adding DHCP support.

Likewise, with eBones, we've hacked the sources to the point that its now a
HUGE job to upgrade to patch level 10.  I know this, because I started it
and gave up in disgust 2 months ago.

Both of your examples dove-tail perfectly with my point:

	You say why not?

	I say why?

We have to find a better way to maintain software than bring it into the
source distribution.  It just becomes a bitch to maintain.  eBones is one of
the few hunks of code that is easy to dyke out of the rest of the
distribution, and look at the effort we have to go to do it?  A totally
separate heirarchy and kludges in all of the system makefiles.

Let me state, completely, my objections to adding the tcp wrapper code:

	(a) there are several similar competing bits of code out there
	    that do similar things -- wrappers is not the only way to go

	(b) it's already trivial for a user to add this support into the
	    base system should they desire it

	(c) incorporating it into the base system means more work to support,
	    test, debug, and maintain the code

	(d) the wrapper changes duplicate much of the access logging and
	    control we have already included directly in the system

	(e) they don't cover the case of UDP programs

If you can address these issues, then I will withdraw my objections.

Paul