Date:      Sun, 21 May 2000 22:55:19 +0600 (ESS)
From:      "Ilia E. Chipitsine" <ilia@cgu.chel.su>
To:        cjclark@home.com
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: fsck ?

> > that PC is supposed to work without a display, without a keyboard,
> > the nearest place where they can find anybody who ever heard about 'fsck'
> > is probably 5km away.
>
> Then it _needs_ a UPS that can tell it to shutdown cleanly when power
> goes out.

obviously it must have APM support besides UPS.
for instance, without APM support, UPS tells it to shut down,
system comes to a state with "press any key to reboot",
accidently power restores and boxen remains to be "neither dead nor
alive", with "press any key to reboot" on her screen :-)

BTW, did anybody hear about UPS which might be placed into 5" slot ?!

> There is also the option of mounting most filesystems read-only. That
> way, they never get corrupted in the first place. I don't know the
> function of this box, but you could have the root and usr partitions

something like InBusiness eMail Station from Intel

it does work, 486/4Mb+200Mb HDD, serves well as dial-out server,
firewall, DHCP, named, simple web-management, UUCP, SOCKS, imap4,
IP masquerading. the only we were afraid of running squid on 4Mb of RAM
:-)

just today, I hacked 'moused' a bit, so I can assign different actions
on mouse clicks. for example "left button" - safely shuts system down,
"middle button" - establishes or drops ppp connection, "right button" -
initiates UUCP exchange.

Tommorow I'm planning to put a mouse inside a boxen, so I need only
buttons to be accessible.