Date:      Thu, 16 Jul 2009 11:52:39 +0200
From:      Michelle Konzack <bsd4michelle@tamay-dogan.net>
To:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: PPPoE server (high traffic in WDM network)

Hello Nikos,

Thanks for your answer.

Am 2009-07-16 12:27:06, schrieb Nikos Vassiliadis:
> Michelle Konzack wrote:
>> I am ongoing to install a CWDM (1GE) and DWDM  (10GE)  network  for  the
>> Alvarion BreezeACCESS VL (38 base stations) and more then  200  Iskratel
>> FTTH DSLAMS of 96 ports (each with 100MBit, but only one  1GE  Upstream)
>> each.
>
> So, you'll have 96*200 possible PPP clients. How many concurrent PPP
> sessions do you care to support?
> And more importantly, how much aggregate bandwidth?

Because the customers are permanently On-Line du to the  VoIP-Telephone,
we count with the full number of clients...

The distance between the FTTH DSLAM and the customers can be up to 10km.

The idea is now, that we do not simply connect the FTTH DSLAM's  to  the
CISCO switches but building a redunant Ethernet Carrier Network.

This mean, we can install in each village there own FTTH DSLAM  even  if
there are 2500 hausholds and we install 26 FTTH DSLAM's there.

This mean in theorie 250 GBit Customer Downstream, 26 Gbit Upstream  but
we count with a 10 GE which is maybe used to 30-50%.

OK, if we switch to an "Ethernet Carrier Network" I could install one or
two PPPoE Servers in each village.  But if one goes down, the second has
to handel 2500 client connections.

Note:   This is ONLY the base installation  between  Kehl,  Rheinau,
        Renchen and Oberkirch (arround  35.000  hausholds)  and  the
        whole region has 150.000 hausholds.

> Don't understand what you mean round-robin and loadbalancing?
> Read below.
<snip>
> FreeBSD has a RADIUS library in base. The two notable users of libradius
> are ppp and net/mpd. The only choice in a ISP environment I think is the
> net/mpd5 port. Read the outline here:
> http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/url.cgi?ports/net/mpd5/pkg-descr
>
> It is very good and is actually used in large setups.

Thankyo for the link, I will red on if I am in Office...

> Can't reply, but keep in mind that filling a 10GE pipe is
> a hard task on its own.

It depends on how many customers you have and with an Internet access of
100 Mbit plus services like IPTV and VOD you can fill up a 10 GE pipe.

> I *think* having more low fidelity BRASs, will serve your
> needs better that a few high fidelity ones.

You mean, putting a bunch of small 1U Servers into a 19" 42RU?

> You can try NanoBSD and TinyBSD which are FreeBSD based and I
> believe can fit the bill. These two run with their filesystems
> read-only mounted which is ideal for flash memories.

Can you recomment it for an ISP setup?

Hmmm, I am right, that NanoBSD can be bootup over network?
(this would be another solution)

Thanks, Greetings and nice Day/Evening
    Michelle Konzack
    Systemadministrator
    Tamay Dogan Network
    Debian GNU/Linux Consultant

<http://www.tamay-dogan.net/>;                 Michelle Konzack
<http://www.can4linux.org/>;                   c/o Vertriebsp. KabelBW
<http://www.flexray4linux.org/>;               Blumenstrasse 2
Jabber linux4michelle@jabber.ccc.de           77694 Kehl/Germany
IRC #Debian (irc.icq.com)                     Tel. DE: +49 177 9351947
ICQ #328449886                                Tel. FR: +33  6  61925193