Date:      Fri, 13 Apr 2018 13:06:07 +0800
From:      Turritopsis Dohrnii Teo En Ming <tdteoenming@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Cc:        Turritopsis Dohrnii Teo En Ming <tdteoenming@gmail.com>
Subject:   Samsung Galaxy S5 Sluggish, High CPU Usage, Overheating, Rapid Battery Drain and Problematic Camera

Subject: Samsung Galaxy S5 Sluggish, High CPU Usage, Overheating,
Rapid Battery Drain and Problematic Camera

Author: Mr. Turritopsis Dohrnii Teo En Ming
Country: Republic of Singapore

Document Versioning: 1.0
Timestamp: 13th April 2018 Friday 12:33 PM Singapore Time GMT+8

Good morning from Singapore!

I bought my used/second hand Samsung Galaxy S5 Android 5.0 phone for
SGD$150 after the mobile phone shop in Singapore allegedly performed
Factory Data Reset. I tested the used/second hand Samsung Galaxy S5
Android 5.0 phone extensively before purchase, from dialing to having
a short telephone conversation to sending and receiving SMS messages
to taking 16 MP photos and 4K Ultra HD videos. Everything is OKAY. I
was satisfied with the outcome of my testing, paid SGD$150 and took
the Android phone home. But of course I did not test the performance
of the Android phone with an external microSD card inserted.

I went home and performed Factory Data Reset again for another three
(3) times. The following day I proceeded to install close to one
hundred (100) apps on my Samsung Galaxy S5 Android 5.0 phone.

Then I started noticing that my Samsung Galaxy S5 is sluggish
(extremely slow), overheats and suffers from rapid battery drain
problems. The phone battery would be flat after merely a few hours.
After reading an online article, I suspected that Facebook might be
consuming a lot of CPU resources, memory and battery power. So off I
went to uninstall Facebook regular flavour and installed Facebook
Lite. But that did not solve the problem. My Samsung Galaxy S5 is
still sluggish (extremely slow) and suffering from overheating and
rapid battery drain problems. Besides the 100 apps that I installed, I
also observed that TouchWiz Home Launcher crashes from time to time.
Fearing that Touchwiz Home Launcher was also causing problems for my
Android phone, I went to install Nova Launcher and switched over to
Nova Launcher. But that did not solve the problem as well. My Samsung
Galaxy S5 still remains sluggish (extremely slow) and suffers from
overheating and rapid battery drain problems. But somehow I liked the
Nova Launcher interface over TouchWiz Home and it stayed on.

I was at my wits end. Subsequently I thought of checking the CPU usage
on my Samsung Galaxy S5. After a quick search on the Google Play
Store, I installed Simple System Monitor. To my horror, the overall
CPU usage on my Samsung Galaxy S5 is almost 100% CONSISTENTLY!.
Android.process.media (aka Media Storage) and DCMProvider came out at
the top of the list, consuming 20% and 10% CPU usage respectively. I
launched a Google search on android.process.media (Media Storage) and
DCMProvider. After reading several online articles, I realized that
inserting an external microSD card into my Android phone and having
thousands of files on it was a MAJOR issue. The reason why I needed an
external 64GB Samung Class 10 U3 microSD card and having thousands of
files on it is because Samsung Galaxy S5 has only 16 GB of internal
storage and my WhatsApp data storage requirements is 21 GB. I really
have no choice but to root my Samsung Galaxy S5 using Chainfire Auto
Root (CF-Auto-Root) and install FolderMount(Root) app to store my
WhatsApp data (21 GB as of now) on the external 64 GB microSD card
instead of the 16 GB internal storage. Without FolderMount(Root), I
could never store my 21 GB WhatsApp data on the external 64 GB microSD
card instead of the 16 GB internal storage. Android.process.media
(Media Storage or Media Scanner) probably stuck/hanged/took forever at
scanning thousands and thousands of files on my external 64 GB microSD
card, consuming 20% (overall close to 100%) CPU usage, slowing down
basically everything on my Android phone and causing rapid battery
drain. I know I should not have used FolderMount(Root) to solve my
massive 21 GB WhatsApp data requirements but it is a requirement.

As it turned out, I have no choice but to turn off
android.process.media (Media Storage). Further research on the
internet also shows that Samsung Link app (flagged by DCMProvider)
consumes a lot of CPU resources and causes rapid battery drain as
well. I had Samsung Link app turned off as well because I could not
turn off DCMProvider.

After turning off android.process.media (Media Storage) and Samsung
Link app (as flagged by DCMProvider), the situation started to
improve. The overall CPU usage on my Samsung Galaxy S5 is no longer
close to 100%. In fact, the overall CPU usage now hovers around 20% or
lower. Sometimes it might spike above 20% but it is still bearable.
Rapid battery drain issue has also improved. Previously my phone
battery will be flat in a few hours. Now my phone battery could last
longer provided that there is no heavy usage on my Android phone. In
order to better monitor CPU usage on my Samsung Galaxy S5, I have also
installed OS Monitor app as well.

Although turning off android.process.media (media storage) and Samsung
Link app has resolved the sluggish, high cpu usage, overheating and
rapid battery drain problems, it has also caused some other problems
as well. (1) For example, I could no longer take screenshots on my
Android phone. (2) And I could no longer review photos on the Default
Camera app immediately after taking a photo.

How do I resolve problems (1) and (2)?

As of now, I am still having problems with the Default Camera and
Timestamp Camera Pro apps. Despite alleviating high cpu usage on my
Samsung Galaxy S5, Full HD (1080p) and 4K (2160p) videos taken with
the camera on Samsung Galaxy S5 are jerky or pauses from time to time.
This has nothing to do with the Smart Pause feature on my Samsung
Galaxy S5. I have it turned off. Is the CPU (microprocessor) on my
Samsung Galaxy S5 not powerful enough to take Full HD and 4K videos,
resulting in jerky footages or footages which pause from time to time?
Please help me to resolve the camera issue on my Samsung Galaxy S5,
especially with regards to taking Full HD and 4K videos. My 64 GB
external Samsung microSD card is already fast enough to take 4K
videos, being a Class 10 U3 card itself. Maybe it has something to do
with the filesystem on the external SD card? It was formatted with the
exFat filesystem. But the thing is, recording videos on the INTERNAL
STORAGE is also jerky and pauses from time to time.

Thank you very much.

PS. I could not afford to buy the all new Samsung Galaxy S9 for
SGD$1500. So I had bought an used Samsung Galaxy S5 for SGD$150
instead.

===BEGIN SIGNATURE===

Turritopsis Dohrnii Teo En Ming's Academic Qualifications as at 30 Oct 2017

[1] https://tdtemcerts.wordpress.com/

[2] http://tdtemcerts.blogspot.sg/

[3] https://www.scribd.com/user/270125049/Teo-En-Ming

===END SIGNATURE===