Date:      Mon, 11 Aug 2003 18:31:39 -0700
From:      fbsd@w88trigger.com
To:        security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: realpath(3) et al

Organizing a review of the FreeBSD code base will be a tedious,
yet highly valuable endeavor.  I have little spare time or
money, but I would be willing to contribute what I can for such
a worthy cause.  I suspect that there are many others who feel
this way, and therefore it may be feasible for the 3rd party
conducting the review to be made up almost entirely of
volunteers.  I guess the big issue is how to get the process
started.

Need person(s) to organize reviews:
It seems like a first step should be to find someone who can
organize audits/reviews of the code base, and organize groups of
reviewers.  Bodies of code could then be assigned to individual
volunteers or groups for review within some time frame.  Results
would be collected and organized and code fixes made and
applied.  No matter how the project is managed, I think the
first action must be to identify some volunteers to run the code
review project.

Just an Idea:
Perhaps such reviews could take the form of bug-hunting contests,
where those who discover software defects or vulnerabilities are
awarded some form of recognition (i.e., named on FreeBSD
website), and/or some prize or trophy.  This could actually be a
really fun activity if presented in the right way.  Conducting
reviews in this manner may help attract more interest and reduce
or eliminate any need to hire a professional organization to
perform reviews.  Of course there would have to be some rules
like, people cannot review code they had any part in authoring.

Any way to get organized reviews done will be a great benefit to
the FreeBSD code base.  I just want to see it happen and to help
where I can.

--ajg