Date:      Thu, 15 Jul 1999 00:34:15 +0200
From:      Harold Gutch <logix@foobar.franken.de>
To:        "Brian F. Feldman" <green@FreeBSD.ORG>, Sheldon Hearn <sheldonh@uunet.co.za>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: a BSD identd

On Tue, Jul 13, 1999 at 11:47:33PM -0400, Brian F. Feldman wrote:
> We don't _need_ pidentd anymore. It will load down a system more than
> the inetd's implementation of ident will. Therefore, pidentd should be
> phased out. Other than that, pidentd should be using
> http://www.FreeBSD.org/~green/freebsd4.c and not linking with libkvm.

pidentd supports DES-encrypted tokens as replies instead of the
plaintext usernames. As long as your identd (or any other
replacement) does not support this, there is still valid use for
pidentd.

bye,
  Harold

--
<Shabby> Sleep is an abstinence syndrome wich occurs due to lack of caffein.
Wed Mar  4 04:53:33 CET 1998   #unix, ircnet