Date:      Wed, 30 Aug 1995 00:51:28 +0200
From:      "Julian Stacey <jhs@freebsd.org>" <jhs@vector.eikon.e-technik.tu-muenchen.de>
To:        asami@cs.berkeley.edu (Satoshi Asami)
Cc:        ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: make fetch

> Look at it carefully, it is not building itcl, it's building tcl.
> This is the same thing you've reported before.

OK, I tend to identify, report, & forget.

> There is already a hack in bsd.port.mk that allows you to skip these
> stuff.  I think I sent you a mail when I added this, didn' I?

I don't recall it, but perhaps it never arrived, there was a serious mail
disruption via my ISP a short while ago (they switched to a new mail agent).

> I know this is not a really desirable solution. The "real" fix will
> come (hopefully) sometime later this week when I manage to reorganize
> the whole "dependency" paradigm.

:-)

> make IS_DEPENDED_TARGET=fetch fetch

Thanks I've latched this example into my post net startup prompter.
OK, I went & saw in bsd.port.m:
# IS_DEPENDED_TARGET -
#                  The target to execute when a port is called as a
#                  dependency (default: install).  E.g., "make fetch
#                  IS_DEPENDED_TARGET=fetch" will fetch all the distfiles,
#                  including those of dependencies, without actually building
#                  any of them).

This sounds fine, but IMO would be nice if `make fetch' adopted a
`recurse & fetch but dont make' style action by default, rather than by
manual assertion.

> Requested by:   paul
> Reviewed by:    paul, jhs and others

Umm, maybe that was something else I reviewed ?

Julian S