Date:      Mon, 10 Sep 2001 18:15:27 +0100
From:      Alex Holst <a@area51.dk>
To:        Freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: allow selective RSA AUTH in sshd setup?

Quoting Adam Laurie (adam@algroup.co.uk):
> Alex Holst wrote:
> > I assume you mean ~/.ssh/identity on the client side? If it's your server,
> > you can enforce rules on authorized_keys. I'm somewhat puzzled as RSA keys
> > are significantly stronger plain passwords. What do you use for
> > authentication? SecurID? CryptoCard?
>
> speaking of which, shouldn't the daily/weekly/monthly security checks
> notify if authorized_keys has changed in the same way that it does for a
> change of password?

No, a user should be free to change and add keys as they see fit. The sshd
already implements access control if there is a chance authorized_keys has
been tampered with.

If you really want to verify all changes to users authorized_keys file,
change the ownership so users can't modify the file but still read it.

--
I prefer the dark of the night, after midnight and before four-thirty,
when it's more bare, more hollow.                  http://a.area51.dk/