Date:      Wed, 19 Feb 2014 11:17:33 GMT
From:      Jason Mann <jason.mann@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   ports/186890: Building BIND without XML option breaks named-checkconf

>Number:         186890
>Category:       ports
>Synopsis:       Building BIND without XML option breaks named-checkconf
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       non-critical
I needed to install a minimal dns/bind99 port inside a jail.  I deselected all port options except for IPV6 and THREADS.  The port built and installed successfully.

Upon attempting to start named, the following error occurred:

# service named start
/var/run/named
Shared object "libxml2.so.5" not found, required by "named-checkconf"
/usr/local/etc/rc.d/named: ERROR: named-checkconf for $named_conf failed

It appears that the rc script runs named-checkconf to perform a configuration syntax check before starting named, and named-checkconf binary depends on libXML.  If libXML isn't installed, named-checkconf fails to run and the rc script does not start named.

The description text for the XML port option only says that it is required for XML statistics output, which suggests it is safe to disable if you don't need these.
>How-To-Repeat:
- Install the dns/bind99 port with XML option disabled
- Attempt to start named using the 'service' command or the rc script, or execute /usr/local/sbin/named-checkconf directly.
>Fix:
Make libXML a non-optional dependancy