Date:      Fri, 25 Oct 1996 14:16:04 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        nate@mt.sri.com (Nate Williams)
Cc:        terry@lambert.org, msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: DOS emulation (was Re: Networking in PCEMU (1/2))

> > Which only works on Intel platforms.  8-(.
>
> Yep.  To expect more than that is foolishness.  Insignia software has
> spents *millions* of dollars on their x86 emulation software, and it
> still isn't very impressive.  Expecting that a single-individual or
> group of individuals could produce something that is even on par with
> their product is silly.

In other words, "This great, hulking, inefficient company can't do it,
what makes you think it can be done?".  Bleah.

> You'd have better luck building 'translator' code that changes the x86
> opcodes into native instructions on each platform, which DEC and IBM
> have done.

Lets see you use this as a generic framework to run Alpha binaries
on MIPS boxes.  If you can do that, then I'll admit defeat.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.