Date:      Thu, 5 Mar 1998 08:56:54 -0600
From:      Karl Denninger  <karl@mcs.net>
To:        "Justin T. Gibbs" <gibbs@narnia.plutotech.com>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: SCSI Bus redundancy...

On Thu, Mar 05, 1998 at 12:10:14AM -0700, Justin T. Gibbs wrote:
> > The best I've seen off our RAID systems right now is about 11MB/sec (that's
> > megaBYTES, not bits).  That's on an Ultra bus, with 2 ultra busses going to
> > the RAID disks.
> >
> > Neither the disk buses nor the RAID controller CPU are saturated.  I
> > believe this is pretty much the wall on one SCSI channel, at least with
> > 16 SCBs.  I'm going to try it with SCBPAGING turned on and see if that
> > helps, but for sequential reads it probably won't matter much.
>
> The problem is that the largest I/O you can send to your RAID box is
> 64k which it will stripe over N disks.  As soon as you drop to 16 or
> 8k a disk per transaction, you will never be able to saturate the system.
> This is one of the reasons CCD performs so much better than a RAID 0
> external box.  CCD can perform up to a 64k transaction per disk.
> We really need to get buffer chaining into the kernel so we can get past
> this silly 64k I/O barrier.
>
> > I suspect the bottleneck is in the AIC code at this point, or the bus
> > itself, or the interrupt latency on the DMA completion is killing me.
> > There is no appreciable difference between running at 40MB/sec (ultra
> > full-bore) and 20MB/sec, indicating that perhaps the hold-up is in the
> > Adaptec microcode, driver, and/or the Adaptec/PCI bus interface.
>
> You need to up the number of transactions handled in parallel.  The ahc
> driver has no problem saturating the SCSI bus, if you feed it enough
> to do.

Will going to paged SCBs do this?

Some disks have had trouble with this in the past, which is why I run it
disabled right now.  But with the CMD controllers in the loop now, that's no
longer a factor.

Karl Denninger (karl@MCS.Net)| MCSNet - Serving Chicagoland and Wisconsin
http://www.mcs.net/          | T1's from $600 monthly to FULL DS-3 Service