Date:      Mon, 12 Mar 2001 11:10:26 -0500
From:      Dennis <dennis@etinc.com>
To:        seebs@plethora.net (Peter Seebach), hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: if_fxp - the real point

At 10:37 PM 03/10/2001, Peter Seebach wrote:
>If anyone has a specific part number or model information about the new
>unsupported PHY, I'd be happy to look it up and tell you what, if anything,
>I can find out.  I can't send out copies of the source without some kind
>of formal approval, but I could certainly at least answer questions like
>"do we have a BSD-flavored driver that works with this".

As it turns out (as usual), its not an "unsupported PHY" but an error in
the assumption that the correct PHY information is where DG's logic thinks
it should be in the eeprom. Reading the PHY info from the part directly
allows you to correctly identify and set up the phy, at least on the
SuperMicro MB that I was having problems with.

For those with boards that give the "unsupported PHY" message who want a
"quick fix", you might try just forcing the address to 1 and the
device_type to 7, as every eepro100 that I've tested uses the 82555 PHY.

Dennis