Date:      Thu, 8 Apr 1999 15:16:11 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@phone.net>
To:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: How stable is soft updates?

On Fri, 9 Apr 1999, Khetan Gajjar wrote:
> Around Wednesday, "jfesler@gigo.com" wrote :
>
> >   3: How do we tunefs "/" ?
>
> Why would you want to ?
>
> IMO, a designed system has a / partition that is never written to.
> The only possible thing that is possibly written to during the
> normal course of events is /tmp.

Yup. Changing passwords is one of the few things that needs to happen
there. Otherwise - well, I run my server with / (and /usr, for that
matter) mounted r/o with no problems. I may move it to a CD-RW, if
3.2-RELEASE can read them on this hardware (2.2.8 could; 3.1-RELEASE
couldn't).

> Although some people freak at making /tmp a mount point, I do, and haven't
> had any problems.

I've been mounting /tmp on Unix systems for 15 years, with nary a
whimper. Recommended.

> If you don't like that, you can make it a MFS partition.

Also good, unless you have users who dump large scratch files in /tmp.

	<mike