Date:      Thu, 18 Sep 1997 16:13:13 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Tuanjoseph@aol.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Fdisk partition

On Thu, Sep 18, 1997 at 01:59:40AM -0400, Tuanjoseph@aol.com wrote:
> Hi,
>
>     I hope you are in a good mood because I am truely a novice user. I bought
> the
> FreeBSD 2.2.2 CD-ROM today, the cute little devil make me do it!  I read the
> instruction and proceed to install the package into my PC( Pentium S, 32M
> RAM).
> Of course being a novice, I selected Novice to begin installing. I proceeded
> to the Fdisk section and here the problem begin. I currently have Windows 95
> on my system and would like to keep it there.I am hoping to partition the
> disk in such a way so that when I boot the system up I would be able to
> select either FreeBSD, Windows 95, or DOS as an operating system. So here are
> my stupid questions:
>
> 1) When you said to partition the disk, do you mean that of the 32M of RAM
>  on
>     my system will be allocate to each of the three operating system on my
>     computer?

You can only run one of the systems at a time.  Whichever one you run
will use all of the memory (though FreeBSD will use it most
efficiently, and DOS least efficiently).

> 3)  I have a 28.8 US Robotics CDROM drive, is that an unsupported
>     type?

No.

> What do you mean by unsuported type?

I don't know.  Does our documentation use that term in connection with
modems?

>      When I bought the CD-ROM, I thought it would be goof-proof to
> install.  Boy I was wrong to make that assumption. I would
> apppriciate any advice you will have for me.  Please be as detail as
> possible because I am truly a novice user especially with
> terminologies!

Well, we try.  Do you have other problems?  There's a book to go with
it, which you can get from Walnut Creek CD-ROM.

Greg