Date:      Sat, 18 Mar 1995 20:45:05 -0800 (PST)
From:      Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@ref.tfs.com>
To:        bde@zeta.org.au (Bruce Evans)
Cc:        dufault@hda.com, freebsd-hackers@freefall.cdrom.com, pst@Shockwave.COM
Subject:   Re: kern/248: scbus attach/probe printf inconsistency

> >Please move the "### C ###H ... " stuff under a if(bootverbose).
>
> >For two reasons, first: a normal boot must be readable.  second: it's
> >bogus and confuses the heck out of people.
>
> It used to almost readable as "%d cyl, %d head, %d sec, bytes/sec %d".
> I think the number of cylinders, heads and bytes/sec is usually non-bogus.
> The sometimes-variable number of sectors/track doesn't confuse me :-).

Bruce, it doesn't confuse me, but I have got too many emails of the type

	I (made the following mistake) then I thought, Hmm, lets try the
	geometry they print at boot, and now my MSDOS is gone..

Make it readable or not, but only show it during a "verbose" boot.

--
Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@login.dknet.dk> -- TRW Financial Systems, Inc.
'All relevant people are pertinent' && 'All rude people are impertinent'