Date:      Thu, 15 Jun 2000 17:34:28 -0500
From:      "Scot W. Hetzel" <hetzels@westbend.net>
To:        "Jonathan Smith" <jonsmith@dragonstar.dhs.org>, <freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: apache

From: "Jonathan Smith" <jonsmith@dragonstar.dhs.org>
> What has happened to apache in 4-stable?
>
> I was running apache+php4, using the files as named apache instead of
> httpd.  Now, that port's been dissallowed.  I couldn't install the
> mod_php4 over the original mod (failed to implement the newly configured
> features).  Now, my config files are confused because the config files are
> different between apache.conf and httpd.conf......
>
> Is there some _good_ reason for the discordance between the two branches
> and is that why apache+php's been disable (to cover for a discrepancy in
> how we do things)?  If it's simply because it's a 'better idea' to use the
> mod, try unscrewing up the differences between the two so that maybe
> someone can make a transition without re-writing config files, etc.

We are moving away from the apache+module port to an individual Apache server ports (apache13, apache13+ipv6, apache13-ssl) and
module ports (mod_php[34], mod_ssl, mod_frontpage, mod_dav, mod_dtcl, mod_*) system.  This way you will be able to install an
Apache+php+ssl+fp+dav+dtcl+..... server without having to write the port your self.  Instead you just install one of the module
ports.

You will need to uninstall your apache server, then install mod_php4 (mod_php4 by default installs apache13), if you need SSL
support you will need to install apache13-modssl first.

As for your config files, copy your changes from apache.conf into httpd.conf and you should be back in business.

Scot