Date:      Tue, 30 Sep 2014 10:20:31 +0200
From:      Nils Beyer <nbe@renzel.net>
To:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: [CFT] alc(4) QAC AR816x/AR817x ethernet controller support

Hi Yonghyeon,

Yonghyeon PYUN wrote:
> I've added support for QAC AR816x/AR817x ethernet controllers.  It
> passed my limited testing and I need more testers.  You can find
> patches from the following URLs. [...]

My NIC (System: "Dell Inc. Vostro 3460"):
none2@pci0:2:0:0: class=0x020000 card=0x05621028 chip=0x10911969 rev=0x10 hdr=0x00
    vendor     = 'Atheros Communications Inc.'
    device     = 'AR8161 Gigabit Ethernet'
    class      = network
    subclass   = ethernet

I've successfully applied both of your patches to 10.1-BETA3 (r272295) sources
and rebuilt the kernel.

Then I've connected a network cable and rebooted. I've got a link and performed
an "iperf" test. The results are really good: around 930 Mbit/s TX and 840
Mbit/s RX. CPU load during that test: "70.75% kernel{alc0 taskq}".

Then I've dis- and reconnected the network cable. Unfortunately, I cannot get a
link anymore; it stays at: "status: no carrier" - tried "ifconfig down/up", re-
connecting the network cable several times, but it stays down. After another
reboot the link can be established again.

That doesn't always happen. Sometimes I easily get a link again, sometimes not
and I need to reboot.

If you need any further information or debugging, please let me know. For now,
I'm using "if_alc" as an unloadable module - in case the NIC stalls for some
reason; and am quite happy about being able to use that NIC now.

Thanks for having added support for these NICs.

Because I'm not using CURRENT, I've replied to the "net" mailing list. I hope,
it is okay for you...

Regards,
Nils