Date:      Tue, 24 Nov 1998 11:34:55 -0600 (CST)
From:      Chris Costello <chris@furrball.dyn.ml.org>
To:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, JFOSTER@CSKAUTO.COM
Subject:   Re: Getting to Stable and boot floppies

> From: "Foster, Jim" <JFOSTER@CSKAUTO.COM>
> To: "'freebsd-questions@freebsd.org'" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>,
>         "'freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org'" <freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG>
> Subject: Getting to Stable and boot floppies
> Date: Tue, 24 Nov 1998 10:18:08 -0700
>
> Hi all,
>
> I am trying to work my way from 2.2.7-Release to 2.2.7-Stable.  While most
> of my questions were answered by the folks over on FreeBSD-stable, one very
> important question (at least to me) was left unanswered.
>
> I need to boot my machine from a floppy, but I can't seem to find out where
> the floppy image will be at to rebuild the disk.  Will it be a single file
> like boot.flp, or will it be a set of files that need to be installed?  I
> assume that it will be made after the kernel is re-built.  Is that a correct
> assumption?

   You will need the stable supfile and the directions.  They should be
in the handbook.  Basically, you will type something similar to
cvsup stable-supfile (as the root user) and it will download a group of
files into /usr/src.  From there, you go to single-user mode and go into
/usr/src and type:

(make buildworld && make installworld)

this would take a few hours, depending on your hardware.  Make sure it
was successful, and if so, you will have a new set of binaries installed,
and then you would go and make your kernel.  If your kernel is GENERIC,
for example, you could do:

cd /usr/src/sys/i386/conf
config GENERIC
cd ../../compile/GENERIC
(make && make install)

If all goes well, your system should be upgraded to FreeBSD 2.2.7-STABLE.
Just type 'reboot' when finished.

> Thanks, and please be sure to cc directly to me since I don't subscribe to
> FreeBSD-questions or FreeBSD-hackers because of the volume of mail that I
> receive.
>
> Jim

-Chris