Date:      Tue, 10 Dec 2002 12:55:04 -0500 (EST)
From:      John Bleichert <syborg@stny.rr.com>
To:        Roman Neuhauser <neuhauser@bellavista.cz>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: make instalworld error

On Tue, 10 Dec 2002, Roman Neuhauser wrote:

> # syborg@stny.rr.com / 2002-12-10 12:10:12 -0500:
> > On Tue, 10 Dec 2002, John Bleichert wrote:
> > > From: John Bleichert <syborg@stny.rr.com>

> > > I'm getting an error when running 'make installworld' which I
> > > haven't seen before (I normally do this in single user mode, I
> > > jumped into mulit-user to grab this output):

> > I had to 'make buildworld' and then 'make installworld' before doing the
> > buildkernel and installkernel stuff, contrary to what the handbook says. I
> > got the hint from README in /usr/src. I've never run into this before.
>
>     what exactly did you do that caused the problem? buildworld,
>     buildkernel, installkernel, installworld? or something else?

Yes, I did a buildworld, buildkernel and installkernel as per the
handbook, like always, and all went well, and all in single-user mode.
Then I tried to do an installworld and I got that error.

Bizarre. I guess I needed the new system files installed before building a
new kernel based on them. Sort of makes sense, but I've never had it
happen before.

#  John Bleichert
#  http://vonbek.dhs.org/latest.jpg