Date:      Fri, 21 Mar 1997 22:19:24 +0000
From:      Brian Somers <brian@awfulhak.demon.co.uk>
To:        "Daniel O'Callaghan" <danny@panda.hilink.com.au>
Cc:        Doug Rabson <dfr@render.com>, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: tun0/user ppp lockups?

> On 21 Mar 1997, Doug Rabson wrote:
>
> > I have been using mpd recently with some success.  I had a couple of
> > problems with it which I will try to feed back to the author this
> > weekend but it seems basically sound.  The code quality seems much
> > better than ppp but it does miss out on a couple of features (term,
> > packet filtering, aliasing).  If you need them, you can always use
> > ipfw, I guess.
>
> Considering the same author wrote the divert(4) code for ipfw, which has
> led to Charles Mott's aliasing code being turned into a divert(4)-using
> natd, I think this was Archie's intention.  Whistle wrote a natd
> themselves for the Interjet, but only released divert(4) and mpd of the
> Interjet, not the natd. (I'm sure Julian or Archie will correct me if I'm
> wrong).
>
> Danny

Yeeeesss, I never did understand Whistle's reasons for leaving the divert(4)
stuff in "limbo" and *hinting* at it being useful.  I suspect there were
reasons that ought'nt to be discussed.

I *am* interested in getting ppp into a solid state.  I lack a bit of
experience (and time) in this environment (*frown*), but I'm getting
the hang of things.  mpd capabilities would be nice :)

--
Brian <brian@awfulhak.demon.co.uk>, <brian@freebsd.org>
      <http://www.awfulhak.demon.co.uk/>;