Date:      Fri, 21 Feb 1997 12:53:00 -0800 (PST)
From:      Snob Art Genre <ben@narcissus.ml.org>
To:        Michael Alwan <alwan@rma.edu>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org, dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu
Subject:   Re: trying again

On Fri, 21 Feb 1997, Michael Alwan wrote:

> I've successfully installed 2.1.6 and the minimal XFree86 distribution and
> have added a couple of x-window clients, including Netscape 3.01.  I would
> like to get the "XKeysymDB" and "Xapplresdir files" in the right place, and
> the XNLSPATH correct (so I don't get the key error messages when I start up
> Netscape).  Where in FreeBSD do I put the pointers and path statements?
> I've added the following lines to .xsessions in the root directory and to
> XResources;
>
> XKEYSYMDB=/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/XKeysymDB
> XAPPLRESDIR=/usr/X11R6/lib/X11
> XNLSPATH=/usr/share/nls/
>
> The files are in the places that the Netscape README says to put them; the
> paths are typed just as the README says to do (e.g. forward slash after
> "nls").  Obviously, I've put these statements in the wrong place.  Where do
> they go?  It might help to know I start up X from root with xdm, use the
> XF86_S3 server, and once I've got the server running, use the xterm to
> start Netscape.

These variables are set by netscape itself.  The executable "netscape" is
a shell script:

narcissus:{/home/ben}% cat `which netscape`
#!/bin/sh
export XKEYSYMDB ; XKEYSYMDB=/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/XKeysymDB
export XNLSPATH  ; XNLSPATH=/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/nls
export XAPPLRESDIR ; XAPPLRESDIR=/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/app-defaults
export CLASSPATH ; CLASSPATH=.:/usr/local/lib/netscape
exec /usr/local/lib/netscape/netscape.bin $*

So you see that any changes to these variables should be made directly in
/usr/local/bin/netscape.

> Thanks for your time.   FreeBSD is fascinating.
>
> Michael Alwan
>
> p.s. :I'm sending this message out again, and hoping someone has: 1)
> downloaded the Netscape 3.01 BSD distribution from the Netscape server
> (rather than retrieving the port from freebsd.org) and 2) starts X logged
> in as root with xdm.  As far as I can tell, I unpacked the gziped file
> correctly and got all the files in the right directories.  Netscape runs,
> but gives me the key assignment error messages.  All I need is to configure
> it properly.
>
> Thanks again, and thanks to all who replied to my first post.

 Ben

"You have your mind on computers, it seems."