Date:      Fri, 31 Dec 2021 20:22:42 +0000 (UTC)
From:      doug <doug@safeport.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: postfix can't send mail

On Fri, 31 Dec 2021, Doug Denault wrote:

> I have "identical" postfix/cyrus/mysql systems on in a jail and one is not.
> The jailed system will not send. main.cf is virtually the same and master.cf
> an exactly copy. The only different aside from the jailed environment is that
> localhost=127.0.1.1 as iocage jails can not share 127.0.0.1. Posfix seems to
> demand that localhost exists.
>
> I've posted this with details to the posfix list. I was thinking that the if
> the issue was due to the jail environment, I might get some help here.
>
> The failing errors are:
>
> cyrus postfix/smtpd[51745]: warning: SASL: Connect to smtpd failed: No such
> file or directory
> cyrus postfix/smtpd[51745]: fatal: no SASL authentication mechanisms
>
> Following is installed for SASL:
>
>   cyrus-sasl-2.1.27_2
>   cyrus-sasl-sql-2.1.27
>   p5-Authen-SASL-2.16_1

It was not a jail thing, it was a package thing. The postfix-3.5.6,1
package is built with cyrus support however postfix-3.6.2_1,1 (the default
as of Dec 2021) is built without cyrus support. So cyrus users need
postfix-sasl. Jeez-Luise package guys. Maybe you could name the non cyrus
one postix-gotcha. Both require cyrus-sasl so its clear that one was
dovecot only.

The postfix mailing list is great by the way. The unwary or those that
think they know what's what's postfix-wise (both apply to me) can easily
get lost in the many and perhaps changing options. I've done this several
times and gotten guidence in pretty much real time.