Date:      Mon, 17 Dec 2001 17:14:53 -0800
From:      "Crist J . Clark" <cjc@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        Carlos Andrade <carlos@rjstech.com>
Cc:        security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: okay now  I am worried

On Mon, Dec 17, 2001 at 08:08:11AM -0700, Carlos Andrade wrote:
> Thanks for all the info...
> No MTA on the machine in question, sendmail is turned off in rc.conf; so er
> right I am um
> have no clue what to do next.  Inetd is also turned off, which then leads me
> to the idea that I have some bad binary or ????.  I guess re-installing 4.2
> (or going to 4.4 finally) fresh would more than likely "fix" this confusion
> but possibly add a whole new level of pain and or suffering.

Does any mail get _delivered_ on this machine? That is, does anyone's
mailspool in /var/mail ever get appended to? If so, this is
expected. It has nothing to do with running sendmail(8) or another
MTA. It has nothing to do with inetd(8). It is not a bug. I am not
sure what you are trying to "fix." If you really will feel better
without seeing those in your logs, comment out the 'biff' line from
/etc/services (see mail.local(8)).
--
"It's always funny until someone gets hurt. Then it's hilarious."