Date:      Sun, 16 Jul 2000 11:27:30 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Steve Jorgensen <steve@khoral.com>
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Dell Inspiron 7500 sound configuration

On Thursday, 13 July 2000 at 11:05:48 -0600, Steve Jorgensen wrote:

> 	I'm trying to get sound working on my Dell Inspiron 7500
> 	notebook under FreeBSD 4.0-STABLE as of July 11.  It has the ESS
> 	Technology Maestro 2E Audio controlloer in it.	After a search
> 	of the archives,  it looks like it isn't supported under
> 	4.0, however, the latest artical I found talking about it
> 	was Feb 2000.  So, I'm hoping that progress has been made since
> 	then. :)  Anyway, I've defined
>
> 	device pcm0
> 	device sbc0
>
> 	in my Kernel config, and I've attached the output of a
> 	dmesg.  Is it possible to get audio working?  If so
> 	how?  Thanks for any help.

Unfortunately, we currently don't have support for this chip.  If you
want to lend your laptop to a developer for a few weeks, you might get
it :-)

> ata1-slave: ata_command: timeout waiting for intr
> ata1-slave: identify failed
> ad0: 28615MB <IBM-DJSA-230> [58140/16/63] at ata0-master using UDMA33
> acd0: DVD-ROM <TOSHIBA DVD-ROM SD-C2402> at ata1-master using PIO4

Hmm, they've brought out a new top-end disk.  How old is this machine?
Do you hear any clicking noises from the disk?  A number of us have
reported this problem on the "old" 25 GB disks.

Greg