Date:      Tue, 13 Jun 1995 02:29:53 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Mike Pritchard <mpp@legarto.minn.net>
To:        bde@zeta.org.au (Bruce Evans)
Cc:        roberto@blaise.ibp.fr, wollman@halloran-eldar.lcs.mit.edu, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: GENERIC kernel & some basic UNIX pointers

> The kernel mode ppp has a hack for low ping latency.  This saves an average
> of 5ms per end.  Again, this should have little effect for large transmissions
> if everything is streaming properly.
>
> kernel ppp is inefficiently programmed.  On a 486DX2/66 with a 16550 UART,
> the input overheads for 115200 bps are approximately:
>
> 	termios(raw) 6.3%
> 	cslip        7%
> 	ppp          9%
>
> These overheads include delivery of packets to an application that throws
> the packets away.  About 3% of each overhead is for the lowest level of
> the driver (which handles interrupts and stores the input in a buffer).
> Thus for ppp, about 66% of the overhead is for the protocol and for
> delivery of packets to the user.  It might be possibele for a user mode
> ppp to improve on this, but not by much since it has to pay for the
> termios(raw) protocol and packet delivery.
>
> Bruce

I guess that I will have to run some user-mode/kernel-mode tests
myself.  If it really does turn out that the kernel-mode
ppp interface is poorly implemented, I could probably be talked
into trying to make it better, especially since I'm stuck with a ppp-only
ISP now.  If anyone has any suggestions towards this goal, let
me know.
--
Mike Pritchard
mpp@legarto.minn.net