Date:      Mon, 20 Jul 1998 15:15:44 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      Udo Wolter <uwp@ukrv.de>
To:        patrick@cre8tivegroup.com (Patrick Gardella)
Cc:        freebsd-java@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Java & VNC

> > I'm using the vnc-tool with which I'm able to get a Windows 95/NT Screen
> > onto my X11-Display. The binary version works quite well, but I think
> > the better solution would be to do it in a browser window.
>
> It is if you don't have the vncviewer availible.  The browser version is slower.

Do you have the java-version (class-file) ? Could you please email it to me ?

> > I forgot to setup something ? Do I need to get the JDK from Sun ?
>
> You need to install the JDK for freebsd.  It's in the ports collection,
> /usr/ports/lang/jdk
>
> After that, it compiles fine.

Hm, I got the following errors:

make all
../jdk1.1.5/bin/javac -O vncviewer.java
vncviewer.java:55: Class rfbProto not found in type declaration.
  rfbProto rfb;
              ^
vncviewer.java:63: Class optionsFrame not found in type declaration.
  optionsFrame options;
                      ^
vncviewer.java:64: Class clipboardFrame not found in type declaration.
  clipboardFrame clipboard;
                          ^
vncviewer.java:65: Class authenticationPanel not found in type declaration.
  authenticationPanel authenticator;
                                   ^
vncviewer.java:76: Class optionsFrame not found in type declaration.
    options = new optionsFrame(this);
                  ^
Note: vncviewer.java uses a deprecated API.  Recompile with "-deprecation" for details.
5 errors, 1 warning
*** Error code 1

Stop.

> Nevertheless, you still need to have the JDK installed (or in the case of
> binaries, JRE), to run the compiled code.  The Java Virtual Machine is what
> runs the code.

Ok, I even changed the Netscape Libraries but even now I can't run some of
the demos in the browser. I took jdk1.1.5.

Bye,
	Udo

--
Udo Wolter, email: uwp@cs.tu-berlin.de