Date:      Sun, 12 Jul 2015 08:21:53 +0200
From:      Patrick Hess <patrickhess@gmx.net>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Xorg for client-only support

Don whY wrote:
> On 7/10/2015 9:41 AM, Patrick Hess wrote:
> > Don whY wrote:
> >> For *headless* devices (i.e., no point in having a real *server*!),
> >> are there significant portions of xorg that I can omit?  Or, is it
> >> easier to build and install it all and remove the unnecessary cruft,
> >> later?
> >
> > Since you don't need the server portions, I don't really see a reason
> > why you would want to worry about installing any X.org ports by hand.
>
> Not sure what you mean "by hand"; if "build from scratch", that's
> just the way I've done things for the past 20+ years...

Now I'm not so sure any more what you mean by "build from scratch".
I was assuming that you were using the FreeBSD ports system, in which
case I wouldn't bother to explicitly install any X libraries, like so:

    make -C /usr/ports/x11/libX11 install  &&
    make -C /usr/ports/x11/libXext install  &&
    make -C /usr/ports/x11-toolkits/libXt install  &&
    [...]

Instead, I would just install the actual applications I wanted to run
on that machine and have the above libraries be installed by the ports
system automatically should one of those applications need them.

Of course, if you were building from source without using the ports system,
you'd have to resolve all of these dependency issues yourself. I don't see
a compelling reason why you would want to take that route, though.

> > Just installing the applications you want to use should automatically
> > pull in the X.org dependencies that are actually required by these
> > applications.
>
> Are the client dependencies that fine-grained?  I.e., they don't just drag
> The Kitchen Sink in?

I'd say that most ports are pretty good at specifying only the minimum
set of dependencies that are actually required by the port.

Just off the top of my head, the one counter example that comes to my
mind is x11/lumina, which has a dependency on x11/xorg, a metaport for
the *entire* X.org distribution. I didn't have the time to take a closer
look at that port just yet, but that feels like overkill to me.

> > This will prevent any unnecessary parts, like server
> > components and video drivers, from being installed on your system
> > in the first place.
>
> I was hoping for a port akin to "xorg-clients".  But, i should be able
> to hack one together based on your above comment.

x11/xorg-libraries seems to bundle a fair amount of client libraries.
That being said, I wouldn't bother about it either. Should one of the
applications you are to install require x11/xorg-libraries, the ports
system will automatically install it for you anyway.

Patrick