Date:      Thu, 26 Apr 2001 08:26:47 GMT
From:      Wilko Bulte <wkb@freebie.demon.nl>
To:        Jordan Hubbard <jkh@osd.bsdi.com>, MichaelV@EDIFECS.COM, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Problems getting 4.3 release iso images

> From: Michael VanLoon <MichaelV@EDIFECS.COM>
> Subject: Problems getting 4.3 release iso images
> Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2001 19:11:16 -0700
>
> > I don't mean to be too critical of you guys, because I know you work
> > hard and are busy, but...
> >
> > 4.3R might have gone a bit smoother if you had actually pushed it out to
> > all your mirrors before announcing it.
>
> As I thought had already made abundantly clear, the real issue was
> ftp.freesoftware.com (AKA ftp.freebsd.org) going off the air on the
> same day the release was scheduled to happen.  The outtage came
> completely without warning and people were already going to
> ftp.freebsd.org to check for the release since the date was
> well-publicized in advance.  Given that there was no ETA for when (or
> even if) ftp.freesoftware.com would come back up, actually delaying

Maybe a long shot: isn't there a way to have a temporary master ftp
server setup at (say) Yahoo that the official mirrors (and *only* the
official mirrors) can grab their stuff from?

Currently there are a lot of dogs fighting for a single bone and (at least
to me) this does not appear to be too productive.

Related question: is there an alpha 4.3R .iso as well? I have not been
able to check for obvious reasons. x86 version I have here, and I'm
helping out people locally by cutting them a CD.

tnx

--
http://www.nlfug.nl