Date:      Wed, 4 Oct 2000 08:04:37 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Jason Cribbins <Jason.Cribbins@qwest.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Promise Ultra100 Drivers

On Friday, 29 September 2000 at 11:04:58 -0400, Jason Cribbins wrote:
> Is there any place I can find drivers for a Ultra 100 IDE PCI card from
> Promise Technology?

Yes.  Check http://www.freebsd.org/releases/4.1.1R/notes.html:

  The ata(4) driver now has support for ATA100 controllers.

> According to the tech support dept they don't have drivers for any
> OS except Win9x, ME, NT, and 2k.

Correct.  A driver is part of an operating system, not part of the
board.  The manufacturers only need to supply drivers for incomplete
operating systems.

> I am told that Linux has the Ultra 66 drivers built in and this is
> enough to get an Ultra 100 working...but how to get get these
> drivers and can they be converted over to BSD?

You can get the Linux drivers in any recent Linux distribution.  It
would take a lot of time to convert them to BSD.  I can't think why
you would want to do this.

Greg
If you don't, I may ignore the reply.