Date:      Sat, 4 Jan 1997 04:33:50 -0800 (PST)
From:      John-Mark Gurney <jmg@nike.efn.org>
To:        Joerg Wunsch <joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de>
Cc:        FreeBSD SCSI list <freebsd-scsi@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: Ideas on CD changers sought

On Sat, 4 Jan 1997, J Wunsch wrote:

> As I wrote:
>
> > > (bt0:3:1): "unknown unknown ????" type 0 fixed SCSI 0
> > > sd2(bt0:3:1): Direct-Access
> > > sd2(bt0:3:1): ILLEGAL REQUEST asc:24,0 Invalid field in CDB
> >
> > That's the consequence out of assuming `direct access' from the null
> > inquiry.  I think this should be killed, the device should be assigned
> > to the `uk' driver (unknown SCSI device) in case it failed to deliver
> > inquiry data.  It makes things only worse this way.
> >
> > (The docking station of our Toshiba T5100 notebook contains an AIC7850
> > and an unknown CD drive.  Since it times out during inquiry, the
> > driver also assumes it to be an `sd0', which finally causes the kernel
> > to panic.)
>
> Since you're just in experimenting :), please try this.  It should
> make the misprobed devices (LUNs in your case) going to the uk driver.
> If nobody objects, i would commit that change, including the 2.2
> branch.  I feel much safer with it than with the current scenario of
> assigning those devices to the `sd' driver (which is IMHO an artifact
> only of T_DIRECT having the value 0).

[patch deleted]

I'm assuming I should combine it with the previous patch, correct?

I'm ifdef'ing the code so my `production' kernel won't be affected...  so
I'm going to be able to turn these hacks on and off for testing...

John-Mark

gurney_j@efn.org
http://resnet.uoregon.edu/~gurney_j/
Modem/FAX: (541) 683-6954   (FreeBSD Box)

Live in Peace, destroy Micro$oft, support free software, run FreeBSD (unix)