Date:      Thu, 26 Mar 1998 10:33:52 EST
From:      IP Shears <ips@b022.aone.net.au>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Novice Install over FTP network

Dear Sir/Madam,
        I am striking a difficulty when attempting to
make a dial up PPP connection.  When I get to the stage
of having to ALT-F3 to VTY3 session I do so and am met
with the error messafe "Can't create /var/run/tun0.pid.
No such file or directory.

        At an earlier point in the Novice install
procedure I specify A(uto) to set up the /var and other
"slices"??  Is this a cause of the problem.  Also it
appears when I Esc from my Novice install without
completing I am told that the hostname 'ftp.freebsd.org'
cannot be resolved.

        I would like to know if the Host in the FTP setup
screen is "ftp.freebsd.org" i.e. primary site or
"aone.net.au" my ISP.  Could you clarify this for me.

IP Shears

PS: I believe any loose connections to my modem would not
be apparent or influential at this point as I have not
dialed out with AT commands.  I have been using COM2 ppp0
choice.