Date:      Mon, 5 Sep 2005 21:10:36 -0700
From:      Ian Larsen <drblast@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   ndis not working

Hello all,

I just got a new HP ze2000 laptop with a Turion amd64 processor, and I've=
=20
got 5-stable running on it. (Updated to stable from 5.4 Release this=20
morning.)

Everything works great except for the wireless card. ndiscvt works properly=
,=20
and the kernel module loads just fine (an improvement over 5.4 release,=20
which paniced on driver load) I've tried a number of different drivers,=20
including:

The generic 64-bit broadcom ones from here:
http://www.linuxant.com/driverloader/drivers.php

64 bit drivers from Acer at:=20
ftp://ftp.support.acer-euro.com/notebook/ferrari_4000/driver/winxp64bit/802=
11g.zip

pciconf -lv gives:=20

none5@pci5:2:0: class=3D0x028000 card=3D0x1355103c chip=3D0x431814e4 rev=3D=
0x02=20
hdr=3D0x00
vendor =3D 'Broadcom Corporation'
class =3D network

The acer drivers match the chip number exactly, as I found them on the=20
Ndiswrapper list=20
http://ndiswrapper.sourceforge.net/mediawiki/index.php/List (driver #31)

The odd thing is that under Gentoo, the wireless card works just fine with=
=20
Ndiswrapper, using the aforementioned Acer drivers.

To compile, I'm doing=20
iconv -c -f utf-16 -t ascii bcmwl5.inf > bcmwl5.inf.ascii
ndiscvt -i bcmwl5.inf.ascii -s BCMWL564.SYS -o ndis_driver_data.o
make && make install

And like I mentioned, the drivers compile and load just fine, but the=20
network interface isn't available afterward (ifconfig -a)

Please send any suggestions, I'm not a big fan of Gentoo and I'd really lik=
e=20
to get FreeBSD fully working on this laptop. :-)

Thanks!
Ian Larsen