Date:      Thu, 31 Oct 2002 12:19:03 -0800 (PST)
From:      Nate Lawson <nate@root.org>
To:        Matthew Reimer <mreimer@vpop.net>
Cc:        scsi@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Does Adaptec's Online Capacity Expansion work with ufs/growfs ?

On Thu, 31 Oct 2002, Matthew Reimer wrote:
> Long, Scott wrote:
>
> > The feature that you talk of only operates on the disk block level.  I has
> > no concept of the UFS filesystem.  So after doing an OCE, you will
> > have more
> > blocks in your array, which growfs can then use.
>
> Thanks for the quick answer, Scott.
>
> So after increasing the size of an array, would a reboot be necessary
> for the kernel to notice the new size/geometry?

If the controller does the right thing, you could probably just camcontrol
rescan 0.  If not, a reboot would be necessary.  In either case, you then
would update your fdisk partition, then disklabel, then growfs.  This is
documented on the growfs man page.

> Have you ever tried increasing the size of a live filesystem using OCE?

For growfs, you need to at least unmount the fs.

-Nate