Date:      Fri, 12 Jan 2001 15:55:11 +0100
From:      Xavier Galleri <xgalleri@enition.com>
To:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Need help for kernel crash dump analysis

--------------000202050404040402080905

Thank you for your answer,

It's difficult to believe that nothing more intuitive and immediate can
be done to get the kernel stack of any process from a GDB session on a
kernel crash dump. Does it mean that this is something that nobody ever
need until now ?

Also, is there a mean to ask GDB to dump the kernel stack of the
'curproc' that has been interrupted at the time of kernel panic ?

Regards,

Xavier

diman wrote:

> On Fri, 12 Jan 2001, Xavier Galleri wrote:
>
>> OK, let's make it a bit clearer !

> [skiped]
>
>> Now, if you've read my first mail, I was actually asking for help onhow
>> to dump the stack of an interrupted process with GDB when the
>> kernelcrash occurs in the context of an isr. Actually, I would like to
>> know how I could dump the stack of *any* process at the time of the
>> crash. This way, I would be able to see where my user-land daemon was
>> lying in the kernel when the interrupt occurs.
>

> To dump stack of *any* (all) process you may write a little kld
> wich will:
>
> 1) go through a process list,
> 2) get tf_eip, tf_esp, tf_ebp of a process
> 3) get p->p_vmspace
> 4) read process stack frames and all you need by manually
>    written routine based on procfs_rwmem and old good 'pread'
>    (which dosn't work now)
>
> Another way is to go through proc list and coredump all the
> processes for future manual analisys.
>
> I like such way.
>
> Can anybody point me to some difficults wich can appear while
> implementing this?
>
> [skiped]

--------------000202050404040402080905

It's difficult to believe that nothing more intuitive and immediate can be
done to get the kernel stack of any process from a GDB session on a kernel
crash dump. Does it mean that this is something that nobody ever need until
now ?<br>
Also, is there a mean to ask GDB to dump the kernel stack of the 'curproc'
that has been interrupted at the time of kernel panic ?<br>
Regards,<br>
Xavier<br>
diman wrote:<br>