Date:      Mon, 7 Jan 2002 15:06:50 -0800 (PST)
From:      Ken Bolingbroke <hacker@bolingbroke.com>
To:        Peter Ulrich Kruppa <root@pukruppa.de>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Spamming FreeBSD lists.

On Mon, 7 Jan 2002, Peter Ulrich Kruppa wrote:

> On 7 Jan 2002, Ken McGlothlen wrote:
>
> Bad idea:
> *Sometimes* - not always, as I have to admit - I buy a
> FreeBSD-RELEASE CD Set. And on each of these CD's it says
> Technical Support: questions@freebsd.org
> and not
> Technical Support: questions@freebsd.org and pay another 100 EURO

I think you've misunderstood--he's not suggesting that anyone has to pay
100 EURO or any other sum for sending questions to the list, rather, such
questions only need to be confirmed to come from a valid email account
first (ie; TMDA - http://tmda.sourceforge.net), and then let through.
This would eliminate the vast majority of spam, since they usually don't
come from attended mail accounts, and thus can't respond to the
confirmation request.

The only ones who would pay, if this were taken seriously, would be the
spammers who send unsolicited advertisements.  It's not necessarily a bad
idea, since freebsd.org is broadcasting their advertisement to thousands,
perhaps tens of thousands of people around the world, so it's only fair
that FreeBSD gets paid for that service. :-)

Ken Bolingbroke
hacker@bolingbroke.com