Date:      Tue, 7 Apr 1998 16:52:21 -0400
From:      Randall Hopper <rhh@ct.picker.com>
To:        Knightmare <knightmare@cyberdude.com>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Sound Blaster 32

Knightmare:
 |I have the kernel loading all the SB stuff. (Should I load up the awe0
 |thing? I upgraded to AWE with 2MB ram...) It seems to load up fine, as
 |an SB16, but no sound programs work. Not even xcdplayer (a cd player).
 |Is there something else I have to load?

Hmmm.  Before we fiddle with the AWE part, let's get the SB16 part squared
away.  Try:

       mixer vol 100
       mixer                     (check that the volume controls are above 50)
       cat /kernel > /dev/audio

If you don't hear anything, something's wrong (of course).  My guess would
be PnP.  See the PnP link off http://multiverse.com/~rhh/awedrv for details.

Randall