Date:      Wed, 22 Oct 1997 10:19:49 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>
To:        "Gary T. Corcoran" <garycorc@idt.net>
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Does 3C589D using ep0 need PAO?

> I've just bought my first notebook PC and I'm trying to get my
> 3Com 3C589D ethernet card going.  After searching through my
> year's worth of -mobile messages, I've made some progress (used DOS
> to read card settings, setup pccard.conf, pccard_ifconfig in rc.conf,
> compiled custom kernel) but I'm to the point where I'm getting the
> "driver allocation failed for 3Com Corporation" message.

If you use the if_zp driver, you don't need the PCCARD code.  But, it
appears that you want it.  Can you send your kernel config,
/etc/rc.conf, and /etc/pccard.conf so we can look?  In case they help,
the relevant snippets from my configuration are posted here.

kernel config:
--------------
# PCCARD (PCMCIA) support
controller      crd0
device          pcic0   at crd?
device          pcic1   at crd?

# Not used with pccard support
#device zp0 at isa? port 0x300 net irq 10 iomem 0xde000 vector zpintr

# PCCARD version of the 3Com driver
device  ep0 at isa? port 0x300 net irq 10 vector epintr

/etc/rc.conf:
-------------
apm_enable="YES"        # Set to YES if you want APM enabled.
pccard_enable="YES"     # Set to YES if you want to configure PCCARD devices.
pccard_mem="DEFAULT"    # If pccard_enable=YES, this is card memory address.
pccard_ifconfig="inet 206.127.76.107 netmask 0xffffffe0"

/etc/pccard.conf:
-----------------
# Generally available IO ports
io      0x240-0x360
# Generally available IRQs (Built-in sound-card owners remove 5)
irq     10 11 13 15
# Available memory slots
memory  0xd4000  96k

# 3Com Etherlink III 3C589B, 3C589C
card "3Com Corporation" "3C589"
        config  0x1 "ep0" 11
        insert  echo 3Com Etherlink III inserted
        insert  /etc/pccard_ether ep0 link0 -link1
#       insert  /etc/pccard_ether ep0 -link0 link1
        remove  echo 3Com Etherlink III removed
        remove  /sbin/ifconfig ep0 delete

> I'm presuming that the fact that pccardc dumpcis does give me
> info, plus the fact that I get a beep and "Card removed" /
> "Card inserted" messages (but NOT the strings in pccard.conf)
> means that the PC-card slots themselves are "working".

Yep.

> For now, I just have one simple question:
> If I want to use the "ep0" driver with pccardd, do I, or do
> I _not_ need to get the PAO patches for the 3C589D?

No, you do *NOT* need the PAO patches.

> Okay, how about one more question: is the "driver allocation
> failed" message indicative of a simple known problem?

Yes, if the above snippets don't help get you on the right track, send
those files and we can debug it remotely.

Nate