Date:      Fri, 6 Sep 2002 18:33:53 +0100
From:      George Reid <george.reid1@ntlworld.com>
To:        "Neal E. Westfall" <nwestfal@directvinternet.com>
Cc:        Joshua Lee <yid@softhome.net>, dave@jetcafe.org, tlambert2@mindspring.com, chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Why did evolution fail?

On Fri, Sep 06, 2002 at 10:02:10AM -0700, Neal E. Westfall wrote:

> Then why did you even bring them up?

I find them humourous.

> Was it an attempt to embarrass my position?

No.

> Do you suppose that I *am* embarrassed by those passages?

I'm not sufficiently arrogant to suppose anything about your feelings.

> What is *your* rationale for opposing slavery?

Who said I do?

> By the way, what objective standard are you using to judge God?  I would
> really like to know.

Nor did I ever claim to be objective.

> Oh.  So no argument is forthcoming.  I am not the one throwing out claims
> of conspiracy theories and asserting that every translation of the Bible
> is corrupt.

No, but you are the one using the Bible to justify your arguments without
explaining why it can be used to do so.

> *You* are the one making the claims that are in opposition to
> the majority consensus of Hebrew and Greek scholars that have given us a
> plethora of translations which all just happen to teach the same doctrine
> of hell.

Perhaps I should remind you that Copernicus suggested an idea that went
against the majority of philosophical and religious thought at the time.
Was he wrong?  (Copernicus and I are independent)

> As such, the burden of proof is on *you*.  You are the one
> asserting that the majority opinion is in error.  That is a case which
> you have not even attempted to make, much less proven.

Nor have you made the case that the majority opinion is correct.  Give me
something to refute and reply or don't bother, remove me from the CC: line
and stop wasting my time!  You haven't bothered to back up any of the
statements that you've made and I don't see why I should expend my time
doing the same if it's too much effort for you.

You've made the first move by bringing the subject up.  I have expressed
interest in debating the subject (and I am honestly interested in it) but
you seem uninterested in doing so.  How can I refute specific claims that
you haven't made?  So far the debate extends to "Hell exists" and "I don't
believe so, what makes you think that it does?".  Your court.  Ball.  In.

Hint: Look at Matt 5:22,29,30, Matt 10:28, Matt 18:9, Matt 23:15,33, Mark
9:45,47, Luke 12:5, James 3:6, 2 Peter 2:4 (I'll grant you that this last
one is more difficult than the rest).

--
George C A Reid
WWW: http://people.FreeBSD.org/~greid/  Mob: (07740) 197460