Date:      Fri, 23 Apr 1999 18:07:11 -0700
From:      "Joseph T. Lee" <nugundam@la.best.com>
To:        Kent Stewart <kstewart@3-cities.com>, Michael Slater <mikey@iexpress.net.au>
Cc:        "'freebsd-questions@freebsd.org'" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Fact or Fiction (Unix vs NT)

On Wed, Apr 14, 1999 at 11:34:22PM -0700, Kent Stewart wrote:
> I have a 100baseT network in my home. There are 4 Windows based
> systems (3NT and Win98). My hub shows >30% when I transfer files from
> one of my MS machine's to another MS machine using drag and drop. The
> %1 led lights up with FreeBSD. I see 200-400KB/sec (just like a few
> other people have been seeing on the list) when I FTP to my FreeBSD
> version 3.1 system. I tried ftp'ing files to my NT server. The only
> activity when I started the file transfers was an occasional
> heartbeat. What I recorded was 630-650KB for two files to NT. The same
> two files going to FreeBSD averaged 340-353KB. I have a few 16MB
> tarballs that I will try later.

Well, you might have a misconfiguration somewhere.  Here's my story of
how I got mine configured to maximum performance.

I was working with my 100baseTX network last night and pulled 2.02MB using
FreeBSD -> FreeBSD (both 3.1-stable) and
1.8MB using Win98 -> FreeBSD 3.1-stable,
by final configuration over leechftp in win98 and ncftp in FreeBSD.

Hardware setup:
(1) server is a p133 running FreeBSD 3.1-stable with a
Netgear DEC-chipset 10/100 NIC.
(2) user machine is a celeron 450a running Win98 and FreeBSD 3.1-stable
using a 3com '905B NIC, on a ASUS P2B-S.

It was pulling 88Kps before because I was forcing both NICs to go
full-duplex through a Netlux 10/100 hub which obviously wasn't handling
full-duplex itself.  Switching to half-duplex got me the 1.8MB rate
from Win98 to fbsd transfering a 35MB file, over 3 tries.

Then I rebooted the user machine to fbsd to check bandwidth there with
the xl0 driver.  It was only pulling 300+KB with the same file transfer.
This was strange, and I wasn't aware of the xl0 driver having any problems.

So while fiddling more, I kicked off a X11 build in the background.
Then, I noticed the ftp rate went up to 1.8MBps.

I suspected that it was an IRQ matter, since the 3com card was plugged
into slot 4 which shares IRQ with SCSI and USB.  It seemed that the
SCSI IRQs (during the X11 build) was allowing for faster transfers, so
I moved the 3com card to slot 1, which shares IRQs with the AGP card,
in order to feed the network card a regular stream of IRQs.

I also went and idprio 0 the running rc5des program on both the server
and the user machine, although it actually had little effect on actual
transfer rates.

The card move let transfer rates go up to a peak of 2.02MBps with low of
1.8MBps.  I'm not saying that the xl0 driver is sensitive to IRQs in a
certain way, but I'm saying that hardware configuration can affect
performance.

I haven't tested the 3com card in the 2 unshared slots to really test
if unshared IRQs will affect it (a PCI128 and a Live! card sits in those
2 slots).

--
Joseph nugundam =best=com==/==\=IIGS=/==\=Playstation=/==\=Civic HX CVT=/==\
#        Anime Expo 1998        >> www.anime-expo.org/                      >