Date:      Fri, 22 Mar 1996 09:23:15 +0100 (MET)
From:      "Julian H. Stacey" <jhs@freebsd.org>
To:        chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Training

To chat@freebsd.org,
Bcc: [ freebsd-cd@Julian's_host, friday@Julian's_host ]

THIS MAIL IS _CHAT_ , NOT IMPORTANT, & YOU CAN SKIP IT IF BUSY :-) :-)

I was training 18 people in Unix System Administration the last 2 weeks;
Linux was the pre-installed base.

So I bought 10 FreeBSD 2.1 CD-ROMs, so the students could have some wider
experience of both Berkeley & System 5 type facilities.

We had problems with both OS's of course {lack of experience, time, & skewed
installation mainly}.

Some prefered FreeBSD, some Linux, but now they too have seen Linux isnt
the only free Unix in Germany (common misconception here).

I confined teaching to `mainstream' generic BSD & S5 Unix, & avoided
Linux & FreeBSD specifics (they don't know which Unix they will
end up on at work, & hardware may not be an Intel type PC anyway ).

I mentioned Linux, FreeBSD, NetBSD (& 386BSD & Mach), & the relative strong
points of NetBSD (other archs.), Linux (wide range of new drivers),
& FreeBSD (300 ports, & high net/server performance) ...
& strongly preached the ethos of not making sweeping negative comparisons,
but cross contributing good source between platforms, to mutual benefit :-)

I invited them to install FreeBSD at home & try it, & supplied some CDs  :-)

Julian
--
Julian H. Stacey  jhs@freebsd.org  http://www.freebsd.org/~jhs/  (PGP available)