Date:      Wed, 5 Nov 1997 17:38:37 -0700 (MST)
From:      Brandon Gillespie <brandon@roguetrader.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   NetAtalk doesn't work!?  take two

Ok, I have a fresh/cleanly installed 2.2.5-R server.  I recompiled the
kernel to include the atalk option, I installed the netatalk package.  All
I want to do is to have this server be a unix->mac print spooler.  I've
dug through http files EVERYWHERE--I have read a ton of linux files on
doing this--nothing has helped me with my current problem!  I believe I
have the whole thing 99% configured correctly--but when I print NOTHING
HAPPENS.  Eventually the job is returned to me with some vague mention of
having an error.  Watching the spool directory while its trying to print
shows an err file which just has multiple lines of:

atp_rresp: Operation timed out

Now, to just give background info... the printer I'm trying to print to
shows up via nbplkup as:

            LaserWriter Pro 630:LaserWriter                   500.74:128

papstatus errors:

     % papstatus -p "LaserWriter Pro 630"
     atp_rresp: Operation timed out

syslog isn't any more informative.. lpd-errs just has the same atp_rresp
errors in addition to a 'Can't Connect!' message.

My /etc/printcap entry:

lwpro|lp|PostScript LaserWriter:\
        :sh:\
        :sd=/var/spool/lpd/lwpro:\
        :lp=/dev/lpd/lwpro:\
        :lf=/var/log/lpd-errs:\
        :pw#80:\
        :if=/usr/local/share/filters/ifpap:

All directories, files, filters are setup correctly, and have the correct
perms.

WHY am I having this timeout error?  I can see other nodes on the
appletalk network--and infact other macs can see my system as a 'printer'
in their Chooser (but printing doesn't work--I'm assuming because I havn't
set it up to receive as a printer--I should just kill papd).

Anyway, can ANYBODY help me?  I've about exhausted my resources here...

-Brandon Gillespie