Date:      Mon, 19 May 2003 10:20:09 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Martin Kaeske <Martin.Kaeske@Stud.TU-Ilmenau.DE>
To:        freebsd-i386@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: i386/52428: pcm0 reported twice: onboard AC97%

The following reply was made to PR i386/52428; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Martin Kaeske <Martin.Kaeske@Stud.TU-Ilmenau.DE>
To: jimd@siu.edu
Cc: freebsd-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.org
Date: Mon, 19 May 2003 19:17:38 +0200

 On Mon, May 19, 2003 at 11:44:16AM -0500, jimd@siu.edu wrote:
 [SNIP]
 > In my situation as reported, I see only one pcm device, and only one
 > "Volume Control" card. I had assumed that this was because of a lack of
 > some support for the onboard AC97.

 Yes, you don't loaded the module for your onboard sound. (I guess :)

 > In the Dell-GX240 kernel, I added:
 > #PCI sound card support
 > device          pcm             # for PnP cards
 > #options        PNPBIOS         # enable PnP BIOS searching

 And that is the big difference. In the Dell-kernel you have "device pcm",
 that means all sound drivers are compiled into the kernel and during boot
 one after the other checks the system for a soundcard (snd_emu10k1 finds
 the SB-Live and snd_ich finds the onboard soundcard). If you don't have
 "device pcm" you have to manually load the drivers. As you said after
 "kldload emu10k1" the kernel responded with those infos about pcm0
 so you have to load the driver for the onboard card to get it recognized
 by the kernel. You can also load all available sound modules if you don't
 know which one is appropriate (the kernel does effectively the same).

 > see what that does. Is there a MANual page or HANDBOOK entry for
 > "snd_ich". I couldn't find one (I did read the MANual page for "snd").

 I'm afraid no. I found snd_ich by searching the kernel source.

 Btw. it is possible that snd_ich can't find your card either, that could
 mean that snd_ich isn't the right driver or that your onboard card is not
 supported by FreeBSD at all. For the reasons i mentioned above you can
 add "device pcm" to your kernel config to make sure wether your card is
 supported or not.

 Martin

 --
 The instructions said to use Windows 98 or better, so I installed FreeBSD.

 		-- Jim Levie in comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc --